30.8.06

silly American

I'm a sucker for anything remotely American, especially patriotic songs. In 2004, our home office had the Imperials come for 4th of July, and when they sang Lee Greenwood's biggest hit, I cried the whole way through it. At our last baseball game before leaving the country, I cried during the national anthem. Actually, there's usually a 50% chance I'll cry during any rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner, leaving the country or not. And when an American Olympiad wins a gold medal, that percentage jumps to about 90%. I'm an emotional cheesefest when it comes to America.

So I shouldn't have been surprised at my actions in the Dubai airport, but oh, I was. Before leaving South Asia, we had changed our local currency into US$. During our layover in Dubai on our way to Tanzania, I saw that they had a Starbucks. (that word is always followed by a choir of angels in my head) Not having a single Starbucks in our country, I of course had to get some, and realized to my dismay that we only had dollars, not dirhams. "No problem, we take US$," the cashier told me. I laid the $20 on the counter (they've changed since we've been gone!), and something came over me. I hadn't even looked at American money in a year, not to mention bought anything with it. So as I looked at Andrew Jackson, my eyes filled up with tears. I am not exaggerating, I started crying over a stinking piece of currency!

I think I've taken patriotism to a new level.

4 comments:

News Sender said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
News Sender said...

God bless the USA! and don't you ever forget it! More of us need to be more like you.

nosila611 said...

Hey dude! You know, Lee Greenwood was a blessed man...to put out such an amazing song! He's got to be! And I'm proud to be an American, *BIG Cymbal CRASH*, where at least I know I'm free! I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sneds said...

hahahaha you are so funny!