23.11.05

Thanksgiving preparations are officially underway

YEA! Tomorrow is my second favorite holiday, running a close second to Christmas. Today, a friend of ours from the capital arrived to celebrate with us. On the train and busride to get here, she had with her a 12 lb turkey, a roast, canned pumpkin, and tons of other fun food items! Since our oven is pretty small (look at your toaster oven and imagine it's giant twin. That's our oven), we had to prepare half of the stuff today. Fortunately, the two new girls here have an oven as well, and we are using both of them at our house. Today, I made cornbread for the dressing, a double portion of the hexagonal apple pie, and green bean casserole. Husband made tortilla chips and salsa for us to snack on, and tonight we are having fajitas! We're also hoping to play cards, because it just wouldn't feel like Thanksgiving without a big card game (that traditional came from husband's side of the family). One of the things I'm most excited about is our friend from the capital is making a pumpkin cheesecake!

The only damper so far is that we just lost all water. So the group of girls walked down to their apartment to try their luck with the spicket, and are going to fill up our pepsi and water bottles and now we're going to have to boil the water. We should get more water by tomorrow at 11am...that's when the city pumps the water into the tanks. We're not quite sure why the water is gone, but we are thankful for alternatives.

So I've never realized how much work goes into Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for all y'all did, Mom, Aunt B, and Mema. I'm putting in a lot of effort to not think about how much I miss my family for my second favorite holiday. Instead, I'm thinking about how excited I am to co-host my very own first Thanksgiving dinner. I guess I am not longer welcome at the kid's table.

No comments: