8.7.06

say what?

We're back! I can't believe how fast it all went. I've got lots to share, and pics will be on soon, but until then I want to write about something that makes me laugh everytime I think about it. The night before we flew out, we watched Memoirs of a Geisha (loved it!). However, somehow we ended up with a bootleg copy of it, something I realized as soon as I opened the case and saw that instead of an official DVD, there was just a normal silver DVD with "Geisha" written on the lines with a sharpie. Anyway, we didn't have the experience of being able to see people stand up in the movie theater like a lot of our friends have told us about, but we did have very entertaining subtitles. We had on the English subtitles because we thought at first it would be a Japanese film, but then we left them on because they were so funny...because of how erroneous they were! Here are just a fraction of the mistakes:

"the Orient" became "the oil land"

"the Chairman" became "the German" (and the Chairman is obviously Japanese) "these are the memoirs of an Empress" became "these are memories that are gonna impress"
...and our personal fave, "I've got a favor to ask you" became "I've got a famous truck"


Husband pointed out that a lot of our national friends have told us they learned English by watching movies. After watching this movie, their English mistakes make a lot more sense!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious...i really want to see that movie!